Friday, October 24, 2008

The littlest victim

Before we leave the Oklahoma City Memorial and Museum, which could have pages and pages of photos, I wanted to post this one. Who could forget the Pulitzer Prize winning photo of the fireman carrying the tiny little girl wrapped up in his arms, bloody and limp, his eyes on her as he carries her to safety, only to learn later it was already too late. We all found out later that her name was Baylee Almon. One portion of the memorial, on the actual grounds where the building stood, now holds 168 chairs, lit at night, each with a name of a victim. The children' chairs are smaller, sized for the little ones. This one, as you can see, is for "Miss Baylee Almon." It's a beautiful, peaceful memorial and gives the families a wonderful place to come and visit, day or night, and reflect and to never forget.

4 comments:

Profile Not Available said...

You know, I still remember this like it was yesterday. It was my first day of maternity leave, and I was home for a few days before my due date, awaiting the birth of my first child. The photo you referenced was all over the news that week, and it was so difficult to come to grips with the fact that somewhere, another mother lost her child just as I would begin holding mine for the first time. I had never seen these chairs close up. Thank you for this photo!

Me said...

Great photo Vic! I remember this day very well. I was waiting with Nana at her oncologists office and we were watching live video coverage. It is so very sad to know that such cowards actually knew that they would be killing all those little children and purposely put the van there.

Vicki said...

Breaks your heart, doesn't it. Until I actually heard him say it, I wouldn't have believed anyone could have been so evil.

Unknown said...

We just came back from Oklahoma City where we visited the National Memorial and Museum. The Memorial was breath taking and heart breaking. To see the Field of Empty Chairs, nine rows of chairs, representing the nine floors of the building, in real life with the names of each victim, the 9:01 Gate and 9:03 Gate , the Reflecting Pool, the Survivor Wall, the Survivor Tree, the Memorial Overlook, the Rescuers Orchard, the Children's Area, along with the Memorial Museum, makes you understand just how horrific the bombing. I will never forget the day it happened, nor will I ever forget the lives that were changed that day. Thank you for sharing your photo. Thank you to everyone who helped rescue the survivors and recover those who lost their lives. God bless you all. God Bless the U.S.A.